Blog Moving

I have changed my email address and had to change my blog address also. This blog will be here forever but for further blog posts please visit my new address at

http://soaringwitheaglesjkg.blogspot.com

The blogs look almost exactly the same. There is also a link to the right of this blog!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Head Out on the Highway

I think riding a motorcycle is as close as I will ever get to flying like a bird. I don't think I would skydive or even ride in a glider so this is it. As I was driving on the back roads of the Palouse today I was thinking how good it felt to be zipping down the road feeling all the changes of temperature in the air. Smelling the grass and once in a while someone BBQing! Feeling a gust of wind that moves you a bit on the bike and hearing everything. The other bikes, cars, tractors, and the sound of the wind in my helmet. It feels free. You are just out there, no windows or doors! Free! An adventure!

Today's adventure took me to Steptoe Butte. It is about 60 miles from my front door to Steptoe Butte. I have ridden my motorcycle there before. It was the first year I rode a motorcycle. Mike and I went with a group of friends from church. If I would have know what the rode was like to climb to the top I probably wouldn't have gone. Oh, yes I would have but... OK this is the way I remember the last trip. Nice rolling hills through the Palouse all the way there. Big sweeping curves. Fun! Then you turn to up to the Butte! ! ! Here it is! Looks pretty innocent doesn't it! This is the area around Steptoe Butte. Beautiful wheat country. Just like I remembered!

Behind me before I start the climb!
I started the climb and my memory served me pretty well. The road was narrow in the beginning but not too bad. Even a little park area!
Words cannot express how happy I was to see this little building. I had forgotten it was there!

I parked and took advantage of the restroom! Now I could just relax and enjoy the ride! I don't remember relaxing much last time!
I was rembering that the road was at least 6 miles up to the top. It sure seemed that way the first time up. I didn't think we would ever get to the top then. Not one false move Jackie or you will tumble down the hill and it is a long way to the bottom. I prayed that there would not be a car coming down the hill on my first trip. You see this road has no guard rails and it is almost a two lane road. Almost! Seems to me two cars would really have to slow down to both use the road. Well, today was no different. It was a steep, windy, narrow road and there were no guard rails. The same prayers were said on the way up but somehow God made the road a bit shorter. It was maybe 2 miles up to the top! Whew! The second time was easier! I will have to do it again to see if the road shortens again. Thanks for the answered prayers again!


I met a local to the the area today. He likes to ride his motorcycle up to the top just for fun and to talk to people. He asks everyone where they are from. He was not too impressed with Spokane but the next time he asked the question the answer was Israel! Wow! He was full of joy and giggling with that answer! I didn't even get his name but he showed me his house. We looked down on it. It has a metal roof so it sparkled as the sun hit it! We talked about the hotel that used to be at the top of the butte and the old road that the builders used to haul the lumber and supplies to build the hotel. I learned how Cashup got its name. The store owner in that area wanted everything paid for in cash and would say, "Cash UP!" to his customers. Locals are fun to talk to!


A little modern technology on the the butte just to remind us it is the 21st century!
The ride down isn't as bad. You aren't on the cliff side! Much easier. The road was just like I remembered it but this time it was much easier. Not once did I think I was going to hurt someone for bringing me on the road. :-)
I went home via Rosalia. I see this bridge every time I go to a Cougar game. For some reason I really like it. Maybe it is the arch of it. I put three pictures in for Keri the photographer. I have a feeling which one she will this is the best of the three. 1/3, 1/3, 1/3! Which one Keri?


It was a fabulous day for a motorcycle ride. I thank God that I am able to ride a motorcycle! Fun! WooHoooo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the shot of the bathroom. :-)

Jackie Kaminski Gleason said...

The bridges Keri, the bridges!!!