Blog Moving

I have changed my email address and had to change my blog address also. This blog will be here forever but for further blog posts please visit my new address at

http://soaringwitheaglesjkg.blogspot.com

The blogs look almost exactly the same. There is also a link to the right of this blog!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

A finisher at the Denver 1/2 marathon.  Keri wrote such a nice blog post that I copied it so you all could read it.  I am so proud of her.  Thanks for walking for me and for Stephen!

OK, first, let’s get things straight…I am not running, I am walking, it just sounded better as my title.
September 22, 2012…3rd Annual Denver Rock N’ Rock Marathon.  I will be walking in my second 1/2 marathon this coming Saturday and I couldn’t be more proud to represent both Team Gleason and my mom, Jackie.  About three weeks ago, after a whirlwind summer and any and all half-marathon training down the drain, I decided to go for it!  A normal training schedule is approximately 3 months.  I had 3 weeks.  I thought to myself, I need to do this for the people in my life who inspire, who motivate and who energize.  If I could get in 3 “long” walks (5, 7 and 9 miles), then I will be ready to rock.  I did it.  And, now, it is time for the ultimate test on Saturday.
My mom, Jackie, was supposed to be joining me on Saturday, but a sudden stage 4 brian aneurysm landed her in the hospital for nearly one month up in Seattle, WA.  I spent June and July flying up to Seattle to help with her recovery.  By the grace of God and LOTS of prayers, she is currently back in Spokane, WA at nearly 100%.  Doctors said they have NEVER seen anything like this happen.  ”Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” -Isaiah 40:31.  This one’s for you, mom!
Most of you know about Team Gleason.  TG is an organization that was started by my step-brother, Steve, in order to raise awareness and help those living with ALS.  Steve was diagnosed with ALS in early 2011 and is an amazing testament of inspiration.  His story and his will have energized a nation to encourage them to live life to its fullest.  No White Flags!  I will be sporting my “No White Flags” shirt with a special homage to Steve on the back (see below).  This one’s for you, Steve!
I wanted to list everyone in my immediate family and let you know that I will be thinking of each and every one of you as I jam to my eclectic mix of music during the marathon:  Dad/Kris, Mom/Mike, Kristin/Justin, Katie, Dawn/Dave, Katelyn, Steve/Michel, Kyle/Kath, Shane/Miranda and Mark.  Love you all!

No comments: