Blog Moving

I have changed my email address and had to change my blog address also. This blog will be here forever but for further blog posts please visit my new address at

http://soaringwitheaglesjkg.blogspot.com

The blogs look almost exactly the same. There is also a link to the right of this blog!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Saints Championship Game Jan. 2010

Trip to New Orleans To See The Saints Play the Vikings

I left Spokane on Saturday morning to go watch the NFC championship game in New Orleans. After a stop in Salt Lake I arrived in the Big Easy at 9 pm, took a cab to Mosca's on the West Bank and had a nice Italian dinner with my son Steve, his wife Michel, and the rest of Michel's family (sorry no pics). The following 3 pictures show Steve and Michel's quaint home, in mid city New Orleans, and the Bayou that's across the street. There was a 4 foot alligator taken out of this body of water a few days before I arrived. No wonder you never see anybody swimming here! This is a cool little area with its own grocery store, several good restaurants and a coffee shop.


Sunday at about 2:30 Stephen and I headed to the game and the fans were rollin' in. Our first stop was a tailgate party two blks from the Dome at the Korner Krew tailgate party where Steve's neighbor, David Davis and his buddies were cookin' up the grub. These guys make enough food for about 100 people and anybody walking by can come thru the line and eat (no charge).
David Davis and Steve feelin' the Big Easy vibes at the tailgate party.
Here's David showin' me the fixins: smoked boudin sausage, Deep fried catfish, Smoked jalapeno deer sausage, oyster stuffed pork chops and several pasta dishes. Delish!!! Everybody was chowin down including me.
The guy with the black shirt and glasses recognized Steve and the conversation started.
The big guy next to Steve is a defensive lineman for the Saints, Rodney Liesle 6 4" 315 lbs, who was just placed on injured reserve as he hurt his knee 2 weeks ago.
Here's Steve pumping up the crowd with the Who Dat chant. "Who Dat say they gonna beat dem saints"!!!

Just one of many dressed up for the game

It's a party!
Four Saints fans wanted their picture taken. The dark black man is drinkin straight gin. His buddy has the big stogie. The guy with the 8 jersey is Alan Savoie, a big saints fan.
OK , the smaller gentleman w/the apron is the guy who makes it happen at this tail gate party. He cooks all the meat. He's currently cookin' smoked jalapeno deer sausage and stuffed pork chops. The stuffed pork chops were HUGE and absolutely delish, so was the sausage.

David's cutting the chops.
The next 2 pics are of yours truly and Brian Freese and his wife. They wanted a picture with me because I was Steve Gleason's dad. This guy is an engineer that works with the same company that Stephen works for.

Here we go onto The Super Dome. There were small jazz bands all around the Dome playing their hearts out for the saints.
Just another Jazz band playing their hearts out
This woman is desperate for a ticket
A great picture of the "Who Dat Nation"

The saints stretching before the game
Here we go right before the game
The Saints driving with the ball.
Steve talking with his Boss's wife up in the Shaw Suite. That's where I took the pics of the field.
These two characters work for the Shaw Group. The guy on the left is Remi Bonnecaze and I forgot his buddy's name. Two nice guys!
This is the "Big Dog" CEO that runs the Shaw Corp. When I walked into the suite I asked him if he worked for Shaw. He looked at me kinda funny and said ya, What's your name? My son hadn't shown up yet, he was still down on the field.
Celebration after the game
Steve and I in the suite after the game
Stephen and his little wife Michel
Remi and his buddy that sat next to me in the suite. These guys were funny. They got a kick out of me asking the CEO if he worked for Shaw.
A lone fan walking out of the dome with my son's jersey on. He said Steve Gleason was his favorite player. Steve introduced himself to him. This was a day in the life of Mike Gleason. A Good Day! A Blessed Day!

1 comment:

NearingEndOfRoap said...

Thank you so much for this entry. Many of us (Saints fans) have just heard of Steve's condition, and I believe I speak for all of us when I say "Our thoughts and prayers are with Steve and his family and friends. We hope he knows how much he means to the Saints community and the state of Louisiana. Fight the good fight Steve, and know you're not fighting it alone. Not by a long shot."