Blog Moving

I have changed my email address and had to change my blog address also. This blog will be here forever but for further blog posts please visit my new address at

http://soaringwitheaglesjkg.blogspot.com

The blogs look almost exactly the same. There is also a link to the right of this blog!

Monday, August 4, 2008

Hiawatha Bike Trail

The day started early! Up at 6:00 AM. Hey, it's summertime! I am not usually up that early. A truck rolled up to the front of my house about 7:15 AM. Cindy, Sheree, and Becky tumbled out of the truck ready to put my bike on the bike rack. This is our picture out in front of the house. I teach with Cindy. Sherre and Becky are Cindy's neighbors. I just met them today. What a great bunch of ladies. I haven't laughed so much in a long time. Thanks for the fun, laughter, and the great company ladies. The Hiawatha Bike trail used to be a train track. The tracks have been pulled up and it is now a 15 mile bike path. We started in Montana and ended in Idaho. The trail winds along the old path of the train with train trestles and tunnels included. Speaking of tunnels the first tunnel is a little over a mile and a half long. It is so dark you have to wear lights to navigate your way through the tunnel. It is truly pitch black!!! It is also very wet. The temperature stays between 40 and 45 degrees no matter what the outside temperature is. Some of us were better at navigating the tunnel than others. There were 9 tunnels total but the first one was the longest, coldest, and darkest! Here are the girls after the trip through the first tunnel.The scenery was absolutely breathtaking. We stopped a lot to take pictures and eat and laugh and...just to take it all in. As we rode along on our bikes we could see the train trestles that we would cross in the distance. It is hard to get a feel for how high the trestles were off the ground. You will just have to go yourself to really appreciate how high they are! There was a fire that roared through these mountains in 1910. A train was passing through during the fire and the engineer decided to make a run for it through the flames. One man thought he would have a better chance to survive if he jumped from the train. He didn't!I like this next picture! I am not sure exactly what Cindy is doing but she is doing it. Cindy won the prize for the day for the wildest helmet! You gotta love the colors! We could see her coming!Here we are on one of the trestles with another one that we had already crossed in the background. If you look very closely you can see two dim lights coming out of this next tunnel. That is Becky and Cindy! Sheree and I had time to stop our bike, get off, get our cameras out and take pictures of those two coming out of the tunnel. We pondered a bit about what was taking them so long. You can't stop and look at anything! It is too dark!We made some new friends along the way. Rose and Carolyn are pictured below. They live in Montana and stayed the previous night at a great bed and breakfast in Wallace, Idaho. Our group is pictured below with Jim and Jim! They drove the buses back to the top of the trail. First we were a little suspicious about their name tags!! Jim and Jim, come on! They convinced us that those were their real names. I told them they would be on the internet tonight and one Jim said I couldn't put the other Jim on the internet because he was in the witness protection program. Sounds fishy to me. When you reach the end of the trail you have the choice to turn around and ride back or pay $9.00 for the shuttle. The shuttle is a school bus equipped to take the bikes. All that laughing, eating, picture taking, and biking expends a lot of energy. We decided to take the shuttle bus. On the way back on this windy,one lane, dirt road we we blessed enough to see a cow moose and her baby. Pretty neat! We were done! We were of course hungry. We piled back in the car and headed for the Snake Pit in Kingston, Idaho. Mike and I had been there on one of our motorcycle rides. Cindy, Sheree, and Becky were Snake Pit rookies. We all had buffalo burgers. They were so good. We had so much fun laughing and joking that one lady asked us if we were having a bachelorette party. I don't know what made her come up with a bachelorette party but she was convinced we must be partying! No party, just fun! There was a little food fight and some discussion about sunsets in Arizona vs. Washington. That one became a little heated! :-) Something about the living on the wrong side of the tracks. Click the play button below to watch video of part of the food fight. Can't take Cindy or Sheree anywhere! :-)
I think we laughed the most on the ride home from the Snake Pit! I'm not sure anyone out there would really want to know the details that caused this laughter. As they say, "What happens in Cindy's car, stays in Cindy's car!" We returned to Spokane around 7:00 PM. I felt like I had known Becky and Sheree forever. Along with Cindy, they are the kind of ladies that make the most out of life and the adventures they have! Isn't it fun to be around people like that! Great Day!

3 comments:

mmsnyder said...

Looks like a fun bike ride! Chris and I just got our bikes all "tuned" up, so maybe Ill be ready for that ride by next summer! :)

I got my blog template from thecutestblogontheblock.com (or something close to that) there is a link on the top left of my blog. Its super easy, but mine is huge for some reason and I can't figure out how to make it look like the normal size??!

T said...

You got me all excited and now i want to go, although im not sure i can handle how high up it is...heights freak me out and those tressels look outrageously high. I used to take megan and dawn on random adventures in college, i just may have to convince them of another one and all us girls could do this.

PS: you take great pics...i can see where Keri gets her talent :)

Jackie Kaminski Gleason said...

I get lots of photo tips from Keri. I am learning from her actually. You guys should all go on the Hiawatha Trail. I am not crazy about heights either but you feel really secure on the trestles! Just don't lean over the edge. They are wide! Do it!!!!!