Blog Moving

I have changed my email address and had to change my blog address also. This blog will be here forever but for further blog posts please visit my new address at

http://soaringwitheaglesjkg.blogspot.com

The blogs look almost exactly the same. There is also a link to the right of this blog!

Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Drive

OK, 6 PM with an 8 1/2 hour drive ahead of us. We could sleep at home and forfeit our $64.00 for the hotel in Klamath Falls. We could take off and get as far as we could then stay wherever we landed. Or we could proceed as planned! That is what we did. Proceeded as planned. That wouldn't have been my choice. We arrived in Klamath Falls about 5 AM! Whew! We were both tired!!! Needless to say. I have no pictures of the Klamath Falls leg because it was dark!

Day two started earlier. We really weren't in a hurry so we took our time in the AM. We slept until 10ish! I think we were in the car at 1:00. 325 miles to Ukiah, CA. Wooohooo! Love heading back to my home state of CA. Not to live, just to visit!
We were greeted with Mt. Shasta!!! Beautiful!
As we drove I noticed something. You know how we have signs along the roadways in Washington that warn us of deer??? In Northern California the signs have bears on them! Watch for bears. We never spotted one (a bear)! Darn! We stopped at a rest stop just outside of Weed, CA. It was geologically interesting to me. Also had a couple of antiques!
Grass Lake surrounds the rest stop. At one time it was a normal looking lake. There was actually a resort at this location over 100 years ago. The resort failed. At one point there was some dynamite blasting around the lake. Not sure why! The basin of the lake is basalt and the blast put a whole in the the lake and water started to drain out. Now it is not a normal lake but a wetlands with lots of interesting creatures living there!
This is the lava tube that drains the excess water! The front of the picture with the green grass. It isn't very big! It is like a drain in the bathtub but geologists don't know where the water ends up!
Grass Lake !



We got closer and closer to Mt. Shasta! Part of the Cascades Mountain Range. An explosive volcano. You can see the smaller peak on the right that has formed!
Yet another rest stop. Eucalyptus trees. I could barely smell them. Mike was trying to smell the leaves. He tried crushing the leaves to smell them. Didn't work. I think in the AM they would be easier to smell!
It amazes me that Mike notices the smallest birds and what they are doing. In the short amount of time we were at this rest stop he spotted a robin's nest in this tree!
We made it to Ukiah at about 9 PM. We did some sight seeing along the way. It was a nice drive but were were both anxious to get to San Rafael and doing some motorcycle riding!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I had to laugh...the signs in my home state (New Mexico) say "Watch for Water". We always joke about taking a picture if you see any!