Blog Moving

I have changed my email address and had to change my blog address also. This blog will be here forever but for further blog posts please visit my new address at

http://soaringwitheaglesjkg.blogspot.com

The blogs look almost exactly the same. There is also a link to the right of this blog!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Avenue of the Giants and More

What a day! Mike and I got started early. At least for us it was early! 9 AM. We headed out south through Eureka. It was about a 5 mile trip to Hwy 101 S. Then another 32 miles to the turn off to the Avenue of the Giants. This is a road that runs parallel to Hwy 101. It is a two lane windy road that goes through grove after grove of Giant Redwoods. The Avenue of the Giants was part of the original Hwy 101. Now it is about 30 miles long. So off we go! Vrrooomm through Eureka to get to Hwy 101! One minor problem! My motorcycle throttle was acting funny. It was vrroooming when I didn't want it to! I was behind Mike and I got stopped at a stop light. After that stop light I realized what was wrong. My throttle was sticking! I could let go of it and the bike would keep going and not slow down. I knew I couldn't drive safely but I couldn't find Mike. I drove all the way to the Hwy entrance to look for Mike but couldn't see him. I thought for sure he would wait for me so we could get on the Hwy together and ride to the Avenue! He didn't! I turned around and went to a Honda shop I had seen on the way out of town. It was on a side street. Mike asked me how I saw it and I said GOD! Anyway they were able to squeeze me in. I think the story about my husband leaving me helped! The bike was fixed in about 45 minutes. Now what???? Do I stay in Eureka or go! I just decided I wanted to see the Giant Redwoods so I took off. I watched for Mike along the road going the opposite direction! We saw each other eventually. I told him my bike was broken and of course wanted his story. He got on the Hwy with 5 other bikers. He likes to ride in big groups so he did!!!! He figured I would catch up because I always do. This time I didn't though. He rode all the way to the Avenue and after I didn't show up he figured something was wrong. Then he turned around and headed back. Whew!!!!! What a mess. I was so glad we connected again! I think we will have to figure out how to communicate better! We only had one cell phone and I had it!

So now the ride. Beautiful! So Beautiful!

Notice the person at the base of the tree on the left hand side!Mike took this picture from the base of the tree laying on the ground!
The Immortal Tree! This tree refuses to die!
Here it is!
Mike is holding on to the tree! Maybe he is hoping to become immortal like the tree!
Fun picture spot!
A store along the way!


We are walking along a trail to Founder's Grove! We are looking for the Dyerville Giant.
Can you see Mike in this picture?
We found the tree. This tree was 362 feet tall. It is estimated to be around 2,000 years old. So it was alive when Jesus walked the Earth. I think that is cool beyond words! It fell in 1991! I am standing by the roots of the tree!
Here is a side view of the tree roots!

Easy rider! Pretty neat looking isn't it!
We got back to our hotel around 4 PM. Mike wasn't done riding and I wasn't going to be left behind. We rode north on Hwy 101 for about 5 miles and then took a road east. It was the most fun road I have ever ridden! Big sweeping turns through beautiful mountains. The speed limit 55 MPH! Fun! I clocked one curve and it was 3/4 of a mile long! I was laughing it was so fun!!! To think I almost stayed behind! 32 miles one direction and then we turned around and came back! We got to do it twice!!! So darn fun!!!!!!!!





A great day even with the rocky start! God is good and I thank him for our safe riding today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun ride!